Why refer to Thoracic & Sleep Group Queensland?
As a referring doctor you have access to the following comprehensive specialist medical services for your patients.
The Thoracic and Sleep Group (QLD) provides a team of specialist medical physicians, scientific, technical and nursing care in multiple areas of lung and sleep health. We offer state-of-the-art Thoracic and Sleep facilities for our patients to receive the best care available throughout South East Queensland.
Our friendly team are here to help you, and we're easy to find.
The Wesley Hospital, 5 days per week
Gold Coast : Pacific Private Hospital, John Flynn Private Hospital
Sunshine Coast : Nambour Selangor Private Hospital
Toowoomba : Specialist Medical Centre
Wynnum : Specialist Medical Centre
Please contact us for more information on our Outpatient Clinics.
Inpatient tertiary level care for patients with complex thoracic medical disorders, including lung cancer, chronic obstructive lung disorders (emphysema, bronchiectasis), asthma, plus acute care patients admitted via The Wesley Hospital Emergency Centre (WEC).
Bulk billed lung function testing, including:
- Complicated lung function test (Spirometry, CO transfer and lung volumes)
- Bronchial provocation testing (Mannitol)
- 6-minute walk testing
- Allergen skin testing
- Lung volume and diffusion analysis
- High altitude simulation testing
- Fractional expired NO (FeNO) assessments
- State-of-the-art facilities
- Same day appointment, same day results
- Our specialist physicians make interpretive comments on every report
'Breathwise', a pulmonary rehabilitation programme based at The Wesley Hospital, focuses on a multi-disciplinary outpatient programme for patients with chronic lung disease, particularly chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD). For more information on The Wesley Hospital Pulmonary Rehabilitation Programme.
The Wesley Hospital is now a designated Australian treatment centre for Pulmonary Hypertension (PH). Our unit has Federal Government funding for medications including parenteral, inhaled and oral vasoactive agents that act as pulmonary vasodilators to treat PH. These agents also have antithrombotic, antifibrotic and antimitogenic properties. Monotherapy or combination therapy are trialled under the supervision of our treating physicians. For more information on The Wesley Pulmonary Hypertension Unit.
Unique in Queensland, this research Group seeks to facilitate research and raise awareness of asbestosis and asbestos-related diseases both to the medical fraternity and the general community, with the aims of improving treatment and enhancing the quality of life of those affected. For more information on The Wesley Asbestos Research Group.
In conjunction with local, national and international research centres we are currently enrolling patients in lung research, including COPD, pulmonary hypertension, lung cancer and asthma. For more information please contact us
- PATENT 1 and 2 Trials, CHEST : Pulmonary arterial hypertension trial - BAY 62-2521, a direct stimulator of the soluble guanylate cyclase.
- CLIPPER Trial : COPD Trial, a 52 week efficacy abd safety study to compare the effect of three doseage strengths of fluticasone furoate/GW642444
- PAH trial with HCP (Wesley Hospital).
Further studies are currently in development.
Multidisciplinary team of specialist doctors, oncology nurses, researchers and allied health staff involved in the care of patients with lung cancer.
Our specialists include Thoracic Physicians, Thoracic Surgeons, Medical Oncologists and Radiation Oncologists. All have extensive experience in thoracic oncology management.
- GP education evenings.
- Hospital staff education meetings.
- Medical student training : University of Queesland, Griffith University, Bond University.
- Active participation in national and international conferences.
- Held in conjunction with thoracic clinics, 5 days per week.
- Comprehensive medical assessments, with all patients reviewed before, during and after sleep therapy commencement.
- Daily assessment of patients after their sleep studies, with immediate training in CPAP therapy.
- 6 bed unit, fully staffed with scientific and nursing staff.
- rapid assessment and turaround time for sleep study reports (3-5 days).
- recognised centre with the Australasian Sleep Association.
- assessment and management of obstructive sleep apnoea (OSA), restless leg syndrome, insomnia and chronic snoring.
- management of complex sleep disorders, including narcolepsy, 'obesity-hypoventilation syndrome', Cheyne- Stokes Respiration and chronic respiratory failure.
- tertiary level diagnostic, CPAP, Bilevel/VPAP adapt and complex disorder sleep investigations.
- management of complex multisystem ventilatory disorders, including cardiac and neurological syndromes.
- multi-team care, with access to clinical psychologists, nutritionists, exercise physiologists and dentists (for mandibular advancement splints).
- 3 bed unit, fully staffed
- servicing the Gold Coast and Northern NSW/ Northern Rivers region
- networked with our head office, with immediate technical and physician assessment available if required
- 3 bed unit, fully staffed
- servicing Nambour and the Sunshine Coast
- Linked with Dr Rosemary Gan, fulltime local Thoracic and Sleep Physician Sleep Screen
- Linked with Dr Scott Brown, fulltime Thoracic Physician
- CPAP Educators assist with CPAP therapy training and technical support with all patients.
- Located at The Wesley Hospital, Toowoomba, The John Flynn and Nambour Selangor Private Hospitals.
- 85-90% compliance rate with CPAP therapy, significantly above national and international standards.
- Provision of the most up to date CPAP masks and machines.
- Full rental and sales services.
- Longterm outpatient management of patients with all sleep disorders, in conjunction with Sleep Physicians.
- accredited with CLINILABS , a New York based international research centre of excellence.
- actively involved in national and international trials, including :
- MK-4305 Trial (Protocol 009-02) - Phase III, multicentre trial at therapy for patients with chronic insomnia
- MK-4305 (Protocol 028-00) - Phase III, multicentre trial at (different) therapy for patients with chronic insomnia
- Accurest CPAP mask study - individually designed masks for patients, compared with std CPAP masks
- Sleep disorders in PAH patients
Further studies are currently in development
- Local transport services
- Direct access to high quality services within the Wesley Hospital including pathology, radiology, and a wide range of tertiary hospital level specialist medical services
- Comfortable, private and secure premises
- Good quality visitors accomodation